This one is now complete and is heading for the shop. I find I like it more than I thought I did, though with some reservations. I have been thinking about how this cloth is very different from ‘Thirteen Moons’. Not just in subject matter and expression, but qualitatively different. Partly it’s accounted for by the fabrics, I think. If you’re using printed fabrics, there is somehow less you can do with them. They are already someone else’s design before you’ve started. And some printed fabrics are recognisably from a ‘collection’ or manufacturer’s range. I find I much prefer the hand-dyed approach, or even just plain fabric. In ‘Spring Skies’ I was trying to use up lots of tiny scraps because I don’t like to waste anything. I’m glad I used them, but I’m still left with a slight dissatisfaction. It’s become a piece that was created for and because of the fabrics; I feel that the fabrics have dictated too much here. Nevertheless, a valuable experience, and I’m still pleased with it. I like its naive sunniness.
Today has been a day of administration and experiment. I’ve done quite an interesting thing involving a large pan and some walnut shells:
Rather pale and interesting, but I quite like it. The yellowy-green was dyed using some out-of-date echinacea and goldenseal capsules I found in the cupboard. I haven’t done a single stitch today and have kind of stitched myself into a corner by completing everything. Now I don’t know how to get started again.