I’m only working on this in the evenings, so it will take a while.
I’m calling it the amazing technicolour dream cloth. You would think that so many colours all together like this might be a bit much, but I think the redeeming factor lies in the quality of the shades. Mostly these are tertiary colours, once removed from secondary colours – so the greens tend to be reddish, the oranges tend to be blueish, etc. Tertiary colours work harder than primary or secondary colours and will pretty much go with anything, including each other.
Even though I generally don’t like frames or hoops, I did try to put this in one because I thought it might be easier to keep the patches flat and even. Because of the density of the fleece and wool combined, it’s too thick to go in any frame I’ve got. I’m just stitching the patches down with the rest of the cloth draped over my knees – and let me tell you, it’s already wonderfully warm. I’m using two strands of stranded embroidery thread, matched to the colour of the wool, and a small straight stitch over the edges. There is, however, a slight problem: cheap fleece is very, very stretchy; felted wool isn’t. It’s a challenge, but I’m working slowly and carefully, and it’s just fine so far. I’ll look at it again once all the patches are stitched down as it will need more quilting over the larger pieces of wool felt.
For my day job, I’m working on something new – more of that maybe tomorrow.