This is clearly going to be the year of big things. My second large ongoing adventure this year will involve making a start on the crone cloth. Late last year I spent about three weeks drawing an elaborate plan for this cloth that involved some very fiddly measuring and rearranging of blocks that were all different sizes. I scrapped the plan last week because I realised it was far too figurative and too literal. I realised that what I actually wanted was just the bare bones of a cloth, the skeleton of a quilt that I can add to over the coming months. Actually all I want is a background.
So what I’m doing is making a set of twenty-five 12″ blocks that can be stitched together into a 5 x 5 square arrangement. The first 12 or so are in the picture above, and won’t necessarily be going together in that order. Since this cloth will be 5’6″ (the same height as me) it will then need an additional 3″ border. I want this to be an actual quilt, with batting, and have already dyed a cotton backing for it. Once I’ve got it all pieced and tacked, I’ll be able to work on the quilting one block at a time. I’ve used some of my favourite fabrics, many of which I’ve been saving for just this occasion.
I’m particularly pleased with this arrangement: one of Arlee‘s specials, and a little ‘crazy paving’ quilted sample I made last year fits into the square space perfectly.